YES THIS IS SO IMPORTANT
YES THIS IS SO IMPORTANT
Anonymous said: hi, i'm sorry if this has been asked but in your powerpoint you said that the tumblr sj community is guilty of antisemitism. what kind of things has it done? also, i love your blog!
I’ll take this one since I’m the blog’s resident Jew. Oy vey, where do I start…
- SJ community loves to police Jewish identity and silence actual Jews when they talk about their own identities. This usually happens in context of either “Are Jews White?” or “Jewishness is just a religion” conversations. In reality, Jews are an ethnoreligious group that ethnically originated in the middle east, and while some ethnic Jews have light skin, it’s actually due to centuries of forced assimilation in European and Slavic countries through rape, which is a big reason why Jewishness is matrilineal. Furthermore, there exist Jews who do not look white at all. There are black, brown, and asian Jews who are all ethnically Jewish, and these conversations erase them.
- "Jewish privilege". Fact: It’s not a thing. It’s actually a very common anti-semitic trope that says that Jews run everything so they are not oppressed. Jews are oppressed, and face anti-semitic violence.
- "Anti-semitism is not just about Jews, there are other semitic people." While yea, there are other semitic people, the term "anti-semitism" was created by Germans in the 19th century to refer specifically to the hatred of Jews because it sounded more scientific.
- Blaming anti-semitic violence in Europe on the actions of Israel. I see this literally every single day on this site, and it’s very upsetting. Jews that live in the diaspora are not responsible for Israel’s actions, and especially should not be suffering at the hands of white people in Europe under the guise of anti-zionism.
- Finally, and this is a big pet peeve of mine. The only people I ever see reblogging posts about anti-semitism are other Jews. Even a lot of my non-Jewish followers will reblog posts about racism, sexism, homophobia, etc. but ignore posts about anti-semitism, and that as a Jew makes me feel unsafe.
That’s enough for now. If you’re interested in learning more about Jewish identity and anti-semitism, you are welcome to check out my personal blog: yochevedke. I discuss that stuff a lot.
Another Jew reblogging about anti-semitism. I’ve seen some increase in concern about this from goyim, but it’s been slow going. Hopefully we’ll pick up a big head of steam soon.
“The only people I ever see reblogging posts about anti-semitism are other Jews. Even a lot of my non-Jewish followers will reblog posts about racism, sexism, homophobia, etc. but ignore posts about anti-semitism, and that as a Jew makes me feel unsafe.”
As a Jew, I’m actually terrified to talk about antisemitism when I see it, cause it’s been so belittled and minimized for me.
Please call it out, guys, just like you would any other kind of bigotry or racism.
The rise in anti-semitism worldwide has been downright frightening. I’m afraid now that when I move, if I introduce myself and try and find a Jewish group to celebrate holidays with, I’m going to face backlash, or even worse.
Anonymous said: I worked my way through college when I was a kid in the 70s I only made minimum wage and I made it I don't know why you kids complain so much about how hard it is to pay for schooling.
Okay lets work through this ask, because I’m not sure when in school you were in school I’m using 1970 in the USA I’m using 2013 for inflation comparison bullshit.
Minimum today in 2014 on average is: $7.25 an hour
Minimum wage on average in the 70s was between: $1.60 and $2.90
Lets convert this amount for what it would be worth today:
In 1970: $1.60 an hour would be about $7.70 today, welp that’s already more than our minimum wage so..
in 1979: $2.90 an hour would be about $9.16 well holy shit that’s way above our national average.
Average cost of university today in 2014: According to the College Board, the average cost of tuition and fees for the 2013–2014 school year [ONE FUCKING SCHOOL YEAR] was $30,094 at private colleges, $8,893 for state residents at public colleges, and $22,203 for out-of-state residents attending public universities.
So a four year degree would costs at a public university:
in-state: $35,572 Out of State: $88,812
Average costs of a public university 4 year degree in 1970: 4,828 which when converted for today would be about $28,580.66 [compare to 35,572, with our smaller minimum wage]
I’m not even fuckin with 1979, cause if you do your own research you find the same fucking information university was cheaper in the 70s across the board compared today, and minimum wage was higher.
It is literally impossible to work your way through university today
if ur gonna be a dickhead and argue with me go through the facts first jfc.
BECAUSE I APPARENTLY NEED TO FUCKING SPECIFY AGAIN FOR CERTAIN LITTLE SHITS, THIS ENTIRE THING USES ONLY NATIONAL AVERAGES BECAUSE THATS HOW YOU COMPARE SHIT. GOD FUCKING DAMMIT.
NO NO GUYS THIS WAS REALLY IMPORTANT BECAUSE IT WAS THE FIRST TIME ELSA SAW HER CREATE LIFE WITH HER POWERS
"Oh, god. I’m a mother."
So the gloves were like…
OH MY GOD